November. It’s the time of year when you give thanks, break bread with family and friends, and sip on pumpkin lattes. And since 2003, it’s also the season for Movember, a month-long campaign that occurs across the globe to raise awareness for men’s health. The Movember Foundation challenges men to grow their best version of a mustache to generate buzz around men’s health issues, including prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and other common preventable diseases that cause death in the male population. Why the focus on men’s health? Males are less likely to speak up and get the help they need. In fact, men die on average six years earlier than women. At OnRamp, we fully support this cause, and encourage you to show your support for the beloved men in your life.
Fast Facts About Men’s Health
- 70% of men say their friends can rely on them for support, but only 48% say that they rely on their friends. Meaning, men have a tough time having difficult conversations about the struggles in their life.
- The timing for cancer detection is critical: If detected early, there’s a 98% chance of survival beyond 5 years. If detected late, that chance of survival drops to a mere 26%.
- In the U.S., testicular cancer is the most common cancer in young men, ages 15-34. Those who have a family history of this type of cancer are more at risk.
- An estimated 307,000 men across the globe will lose their lives to prostate cancer this year
As you can see, the more we talk about men’s health, the better the chances for survival for those who need it the most. Encourage the men in your life to be proactive about their health and well-being.
How to Participate in Movember 2017
- Grow: Men can grow a mustache (or even a full beard) during the 30-day period. Sign up on the foundation’s website and show off your ‘stache in person around your community or online via social media to spark a conversation and raise money for the cause.
- Donate or Raise Funds: Mo brothers and Mo sistas (women who want to support men’s health) alike can donate funds to address men’s health initiatives and/or share a link to their Mo Space to raise funds from friends and family. Every dollar counts! Funds go towards innovative health programs and future awareness campaigns with partners like the The Prostate Cancer Foundation.
- Move: Being healthy inside and out requires good old-fashioned exercise—that’s why the Movember Foundation integrated exercise into the health challenge. You can log exercise time on your profile, set goals for yourself, and track your progress. Challenge friends and coworkers to maximize the fun. Remember, you’re more likely to remain active when you have an accountability buddy.
- Host your own event, or join an existing event: From supper clubs and pig roasts to karaoke and golf tournaments, there are endless opportunities to participate in a Movember event. Search for an event near you to see what strikes your fancy, or host your own.
The Movember Foundation makes it super easy to collect funds and spread the word. The website offers plenty of customizable templates, downloadable assets, powerful images, and eye-opening stats to fuel your own awareness campaign. You may find the Movember app useful, too, as it has all the same features and capabilities as the website at your fingertips. You can even connect your favorite fitness tracker.
Join the OnRamp Team
In 2016, the OnRamp Movember team was able to raise $3,732, surpassing our goal of $2,000. Join Mo’Betta OnRamp as we fight for the well-being of our fathers, brothers, friends, and co-workers. Then, feel free to recruit others, donate funds, or get involved with one of the larger scale industry challenges happening worldwide.