Conference season is booming. With so many different ways to learn on the job, it can be tough to justify the time and expense of attending an out-of-office event. But sometimes it makes sense to leave the office and the task list behind. Case in point? At OnRamp, we’re looking forward to attending the upcoming SpiceWorld, held in Austin on November 1-3 this year.
SpiceWorld, described by many as the “most happenin’ IT conference around,” will include 75 different speakers covering the latest trends in information technology. “The conference will cover practical IT know-how from loads of how-to sessions, real tech conversations with key vendors, and in-the-trenches stories with IT pros and marketers,” according to CIODive.com.
The event is hosted by Spiceworks, a professional network that IT professionals and tech marketers use to discover, buy and manage technology products and services. Here’s what you can expect from this year’s event:
- A diverse array of sponsors. SpiceWorld promises this year’s attendees, also called Spiceheads, access to more than sixty speakers—and millions of products. Leading the charge are heavy hitters Cisco, Canon, HP, and Intel.
- IT professionals often feel isolated, but SpiceWorld will show you that you aren’t alone. Meet with others from your industry to discuss some of the common barriers and challenges you share.
- Breakout sessions. Too often, breakout sessions are thinly-veiled sales pitches, but not at SpiceWorld. Expect to return to the office with actionable tips for making your day-to-day work tasks easier. For instance, last year, breakout sessions featured tips for managing active directories with ease and the best practices for disposing of confidential and sensitive client information.
Help Your Manager Justify the Expense
Want to join us? SpiceWorld even has resources for justifying the expense to your boss—showcasing the value of the conference as well as testimonials attesting to its ROI. For example, a Network and Systems Administrator attending last year’s SpiceWorld noted that through connections he made at the conference, he was able to purchase enterprise-class phone systems for $3,000 less than what was available through a reseller.
Participants also note that networking saves time—a valuable commodity for any business. Establishing contacts allows IT professionals to ping one another with questions and advice, which can save hours of research. Employee training can reduce turnover and keeps workers up-to-date with the latest technological developments. Attending SpiceWorld will help you anticipate the most recent trends. The website even features an email template justifying the expense, for anyone who wants the help persuading their manager.
Anticipating This Year’s Highlights
This year’s conference promises to deliver an impressive array of keynote speakers and breakout sessions addressing the latest issues and challenges of today’s technology including:
- Being a Jack of All Trades. Let’s face it: no IT professional works on one issue at a time. This session outlines how to manage your spinning plates effectively. It emphasizes honing your skills in one area and how to delegate tactfully. Most importantly, it offers tips for expanding your budget to hire more staff.
- Hybrid Versus 100% Cloud Communications. Unified communications is moving to the cloud – but the way companies make the transition is still of some debate. This session features a panel of IT specialists who weigh the pros and cons of a hybrid solution versus going all in on cloud communications.
- Network Security Is Not Rocket Science. Cybersecurity is an increasing concern for many IT workers, especially in light of budget and time constraints. Even though we know the importance of keeping our employees and users safe from cybercriminals, many still aren’t doing enough. Learn how to balance budgets and security with real-world examples and answers to common questions and concerns.
- Favorite 5 Tech Marketing Techniques. Experts in tech marketing break down their tried-and-true favorite techniques, from infographics to banner ads. Also included: key performance indicators (KPIs) so you know if your campaign is on track.
- Moves Content Marketers Miss. Learn all about content creation gaps in this breakout session. You won’t want to miss the advice from veterans.
SpiceWorld delivers this and more over its three-day span. You’ll learn, connect with your colleagues, meet new vendors, and find out about some of the newest trends—which you can share with your boss upon your return. Learn more about the event, and plan your visit.
If you want to meet up with our team to talk shop or simply continue to network with other IT individuals, you should RSVP for OnRamp’s high tech happy hour happening Thursday, 11/3, after the conference in downtown Austin. We hope to see you there!